If your loved ones are placed in a nursing home, they deserve dignity and proper care. Georgia's laws related to nursing homes go above and beyond federal regulations related to nursing home safety and care.
At Nicholson, Silverbach, & Watson, we leverage our years of experience in negotiating equitable settlements in nursing home abuse cases. We work with clients in metro Atlanta and throughout Georgia.
The Rights of Georgia Nursing Home Residents
The state provides a comprehensive list of rights to which nursing home residents are entitled. Some of them include:
- The right to nondiscrimination, or fair treatment regardless of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or other characteristics
- The right to privacy, unless it interferes with an identified medical need
- The right to freedom of choice in matters of voting, religious observances and who will manage their finances
- The right to proper nutrition. A staff dietician should ensure all residents avoid malnutrition and dehydration
- The right to freedom from restraints, both physical and chemical
How Do I File a Claim of Nursing Home Abuse?
If you observe evidence of nursing home abuse, these are some of the most crucial steps to take.
- Notify facility management of the situation immediately.
- If you believe your loved one's life is in danger, call 911. The police may be able to document and verify your claim.
- Take photographs of the evidence of the abuse, including bruises, cuts, bed sores or other visible symptoms.
- If there are witnesses to the abuse, get their names and contact information for follow-up by police or investigators later.
- Report the abuse claim to the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman.
- Contact a lawyer from our firm, who can guide you through the claim process.
We Can Help You Obtain a Settlement
When you meet with one of our attorneys, they will review the evidence in your case and determine how best to proceed with your claim of elder neglect or abuse. They will help you review settlement offers from the other side and determine if they are the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact Our Firm Today
Do not wait to file your nursing home abuse claim. We will help you at each stage of the process. Call our firm at 770-615-7269 or use our online form to schedule an appointment. Our office is in Kennesaw.